Firefighter Medic (CD)
Salary: $50,695.00 – $65,493.00 Annually
Location: Hanover County, VA
Closing: 12/1/2022 12:00 AM Eastern
Hanover Fire-EMS is a combination system consisting of a diverse team of dedicated career and volunteer emergency responders working side by side, staffing sixteen stations throughout the county. Our strength is in our emergency services team’s training and preparedness.
Our vision is to be a high-performance emergency response and mitigation system that meets the current and future needs of the citizens of Hanover County in response to all emergency situations; accidental, natural or manmade. We focus on fostering an inclusive culture guided by our department’s core values:
Pride, Accountability, Courage and Teamwork.
General Description: This is a skilled, technical position. The incumbent performs routine and complex tasks to provide emergency services to include fire suppression and patient care/life support.
Organization: The Firefighter/Medic position is part of Hanover County’s Career Development Program (CD). The Firefighter/Medic Ladder has four levels ranging from Firefighter/Medic I to Master Firefighter/Medic. Incumbents report to a Lieutenant and supervise no staff. Master Firefighter/Medics may serve as workflow leaders to lower-level Firefighter/Medics.
- Responds to alarms of fires, hazardous material incidents, medical and other emergencies.
- Leads, directs, and participates in the delivery of emergency patient care.
- Examines patients, provides care and reports findings to an emergency department physician.
- Conducts fire safety inspections and pre-fire planning for commercial buildings.
- Drives/operates various types of fire/medical apparatus.
- Assures that emergency vehicles are completely stocked and in good running order.
- Maintains cleanliness, state of readiness of stations, apparatus and all related equipment.
- Performs community service activities, including fire safety education/prevention programs.
- Completes all required reports of runs made by the crew and attends training sessions as required.
- Maintains a good relationship with staff, volunteers, law enforcement, hospital staff and citizens.
- Fosters volunteer involvement and membership to support a combination system.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Chemicals – May be exposed to conditions, including routine exposure to severe weather, dust, smoke, noise, and fumes.
C. Physical Effort
· Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks in all weather
situations. Must be able to carry and balance up to 125 pounds (250 pounds with assistance).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have the ability to prepare detailed written/electronic reports. Must demonstrate the ability to think/act quickly and appropriately in all situations. Knowledge of emergency care procedures/equipment, preferred.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required with related education, experience, and training desired. A satisfactory VA DMV license is required to be hired. Upon hiring,new employee must complete and pass EMT-B certification, with current CPR, before Fire Academy begins. EMT-B, CPR, and Fire Academy must be completed & passed to continue employment. All practicing advanced EMS providers must maintain current ACLS certification. Paramedics must maintain national registry certification. Continuous training required to maintain employment and/or to advance in career development. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
· Must be at least eighteen (18) years old
· Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver’s License
· Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
· Complete Criminal Background Investigation
Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug test/Alcohol Screening/Agility
test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
· Twelve-month probationary period
· Shift Work, including weekends, holidays and nights and work beyond
normal work schedule
· Essential staff designation
· Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
· May not be a member of any of the Hanover County volunteer rescue
squads or fire companies during employment
– Shall perform work at his/her VA Certified EMS provider level of training
(EMT-B, EMT-Enhanced, EMT-I, EMT-P), upon clearance by department
Operational Medical Director (OMD).
· This position is subject to the department’s on-call procedures
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL APPLICANTS:
Please read and print all special instructions for necessary information in this process.
Candidates are required to answer all application questions.
Qualified candidates will be invited to take a written test.
Entry-level Firefighter Candidate Study Guides may be ordered online from Public Safety Compass: publicsafetycompass.com/study at candidate’s expense ($20 + S&H).
After completion of the written exam, selected candidates will be required to pass a physical fitness ability test; attend a candidate interview; and complete a full background investigation to include a polygraph test. An email address is REQUIRED to be notified on the physical fitness test; any practice session; and interview dates.
A minimum of three reference letters are required at the time of interview, along with any fire or EMT certifications.
Candidates will be required to provide a copy of their diploma/degree to Human Resources; have a County background check; a DMV license check; and pass an NFPA firefighter physical.
Supplemental Information Entry level for Firefighter/Medic-Recruit is $50,659.
Link to Posting:
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.