Website City of Sacramento
City of Sacramento
Salary: $160,569 – $273,000 DOE/DOQ
The City of Sacramento is seeking a Fire Chief to manage the oldest fire service west of the Mississippi! The City is looking for someone who is a visionary leader, team player, and committed public servant who will support the Fire Department’s mission to protect the community through effective and innovative public safety services. The Fire Chief will report to the City Manager, requiring a leader who is responsive and able to take direction. They will oversee a team of over 600 employees across Emergency Medical Services, Fire Prevention, and Fire Suppression and a department budget of $173.3 million. Much of this role involves overseeing the Department’s activities, such as fire prevention, public information, emergency planning, fire suppression, training/fitness, communications, hazmat response, related administrative services and diversity, outreach, and recruitment efforts. They will ensure the Department is compliant with all applicable laws, ordinances, and codes and see that staff receive the training and development necessary to help the Department thrive. The ideal candidate will have experience working with unions and possess the demeanor and demonstrated integrity to serve as a respected representative of the City. They will foster a welcoming work culture and embrace positive change to improve departmental operational efficiencies and foster diversity, equity and inclusion within the department. If you want to lead a team of dedicated public servants and have the leadership skills to move the Department forward in meeting current and future needs of the City, apply today!
See the full recruitment brochure: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4f4c6881-52c8-4d58-88df-a946e485d163
The Fire Chief will report to the City Manager as a member of the City’s Executive Team and will oversee the Fire Department’s 600 staff, $173.3 million budget, and a range of services that includes fire prevention, public information, emergency planning, fire suppression, training/fitness, communications, hazmat response, related administrative services and diversity, outreach, and recruitment efforts. They will have a strong understanding of local, federal, and state laws, codes, and ordinances and ensure that the Department is consistently compliant. Along with oversight of the Department’s day-to-day functions, they will spearhead goal setting and long-term planning, oversee the training of staff and monitor the effectiveness of their team. The next Fire Chief will work to meet the needs of the City by working with other departments, staff, and agencies and participate on a variety of boards and committees.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will use their strategic thinking skills to make quick, yet thoughtful decisions. Along with having strong interpersonal skills, they will have the technical expertise to review information, oversee policy development and implementation, and develop and present complex reports. They will be a natural project manager and leader while also being able to receive feedback from others. The successful candidate will support diversity, equity, and inclusion and foster an open and welcoming culture for everyone. They will be an exemplary communicator, negotiator, and relationship builder. Having both operational and administrative skills is integral to this role. The ideal candidate will practice modern firefighting and keep up with changes within the industry.
· Six years of broad and extensive supervisory experience in municipal fire service-related work including either two years in a position with administrative/management responsibility at a level higher than or equal to the City of Sacramento’s class of Fire Deputy Chief; or four years in a position with administrative/management responsibility at a level higher than or equal to the City of Sacramento’s class of Fire Assistant Chief.
· Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, Fire Administration, Public Administration, or related field from an accredited college.
· Master’s degree in Fire Science, Fire Administration, Public Administration, or related field may substitute for up to two years of experience.
· Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Annual Salary $160,569 – $273,000 DOE/DOQ and an attractive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY: For first consideration, apply by August 8th at:
SECURE THE DATES:
· Interviews will be held on August 25th & 26th. Candidates invited to interview will need to be available for both days.
Please contact our recruiter, Sam Sackman, with any questions:
· 541-630-0657 (direct)
· 866-929-9227 (toll-free)
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity. Applicants can learn more about the City’s current diversity, equity, and inclusion priorities and initiatives here.
To apply for this job please visit wbcp.applicantpool.com.