City of Greenville
The City of Greenville offers an outstanding opportunity for a dynamic, highly motivated, and experienced professional to serve as its next Fire/Rescue Chief.
Compensation: Highly competitive starting salary ($118,976 – $148,720/year, depending on qualifications) and excellent benefits.
City Overview: Greenville is located in the north central coastal plains region of eastern North Carolina approximately 85 miles east of Raleigh. The City covers 35 square miles and has a growing population estimate of 93,400. Greenville is home to East Carolina University which has more than 28,000 students enrolled. The City serves as the major industrial, economic, medical, and cultural hub of eastern North Carolina. Residents and visitors benefit from a wide range of highly attractive quality of life amenities and a very reasonable cost of living.
Position Overview: The Fire/Rescue Chief is highly visible, providing leadership, direction, and guidance to a high performing staff of cross-trained fire/rescue professionals. Greenville Fire/Rescue is one of the few completely cross-trained departments in the state of North Carolina that provide fire suppression services, along with ambulance transport at the paramedic level. The Department runs approximately 20,000 calls a year, with nearly 90% of the calls EMS-related. The Department has an annual operating budget of $16+ million to fund its services and has a staff of 167 for six stations, with the seventh station currently underway.
Candidate Profile: The successful candidate will have a strong and diverse background in fire operations, emergency medical services, and emergency management and will:
- Be a leader with a record of strong collaborative leadership and positive community outreach and involvement;
- Be approachable, responsive, and actively engaged with the workforce;
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to professional growth, positive morale, teamwork, and retention;
- Foster organizational change by developing and implementing strategies and approaches that add value to the Fire/Rescue Department and the organization;
- Have the ability to strategically plan for and ensure that the department is well-positioned for future growth;
- Have the ability and desire to work across departments and agencies to build rapport and form partnerships to foster better services;
- Be an outstanding communicator and display excellent interpersonal skills;
- Model performance by displaying a high level of integrity, inclusion, transparency, trust, and professional ethics.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Click here for job description.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in fire science or related field, supplemented with advanced courses in fire administration and emergency medical services. A master’s degree is preferred; and
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive management experience in a fire/rescue department, with five years as chief or deputy/district chief preferred. Significant management experience in a large or comparably-sized fire/rescue department with ALS ambulance operations is highly preferred.
- Designation as an Executive Fire Officer through the United States Fire Administration/National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer Program or similar designation highly preferred.
- A valid North Carolina driver’s license or the ability to obtain within 30 days of hire and an acceptable driving record.
- Must establish residency in city limits within six (6) months following completion of probationary period.
- Appropriate Emergency Medical Technician, firefighter, and NIMS certifications required after appointment.
To apply for this job please visit www.greenvillenc.gov.