Website CITY OF DEKALB
The City of DeKalb, Illinois is seeking candidates for the position of Fire Chief. DeKalb is located 60 miles west of Downtown Chicago and home to Northern Illinois University (NIU). The DeKalb Fire Department proudly serves over 40,000 residents and is accountable for all fire and emergency service request within the City, NIU, and the DeKalb Fire Protection District. The Department service areas is approximately 55 square miles.
The Department is comprised of two divisions: Operations and Administrations and consists of 59 sworn and 1 civilian employee. Staff includes a Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief of Operations, Deputy Fire Chief of Training, 3 Battalion Chiefs, 3 Captains, 11 Lieutenants/Paramedics, 39 Firefighter/Paramedics, and an Administrative Assistant.
The next Fire Chief will be a forward-thinking, collaborative leader who will engage in a visible and active role in both the department and community. The following credentials are required:
- Bachelor’s degree in fire science, fire administration, public administration or closely related field, or a comparable combination of education, training, and experience, required.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in fire operations including firefighting, fire prevention, public fire education, emergency medical services, special operations, and the administration of a modern urban or suburban fire department.
- Demonstrated progressive promotion and advancement in responsibilities and rank. A minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience required at the rank of battalion chief or deputy chief or equivalent.
- Completion of Advanced Incident Command training and/or actively pursuing state certification as a Chief Fire Officer (State of Illinois), Chief Fire Officer designation from (Center of Public Safety Excellence), and/or national Executive Fire Officer designation through the National Fire Academy is required.
- Completion of NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800.
- Certifications through the State Fire Marshall as Advanced Fire Officer or Fire Fighter II, Incident Safety Officer, Instructor II, Hazardous Materials Incident Command Officer, and Incident Safety Officer required. Training Program Manager and Fire Prevention Inspector certification strongly desired.
The starting salary for the position is $145,000 +/- commensurate with knowledge, skills and experience. The City of DeKalb provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and prescription benefits, life insurance coverage, HSA & flexible spending accounts, and deferred compensation.
The Fire Chief is currently required to reside within the City limits or establish residency in an agreed upon time frame. A relocation package may be available
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.