City of Beverly Hills
This is an announcement for the position of Firefighter with the City of Beverly Hills. To be considered for this position, please carefully review the minimum qualifications listed below. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and are interested in being considered for this position must visit the National Testing Network (NTN) at www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to register for the Firefighter Written Exam. NTN will be administering the Firefighter Written Exam on behalf of Beverly Hills.
Who We Are
The City of Beverly Hills has a long-standing reputation for providing superior customer service to residents, businesses, and visitors. This characteristic, combined with outstanding staff in all departments, has been a hallmark of success for this high performance organization. The municipal government (approximately 1,080 full-time and part-time employees) provides the highest quality safety services, recreational, municipal services, and physical environment.
What We Do
The Beverly Hills Fire Department is charged with the preservation of life and property within the Beverly Hills community. The dedicated men and women of the Beverly Hills Fire Department protect approximately 34,000 residents and an estimated 150,000-200,000 daily visitors in a 5.7 square mile area. Highly-trained and properly equipped firefighters respond to fires, rescues, medical emergencies, chemical releases, and natural disasters. The Beverly Hills Fire Department operates the city’s three fire stations and responds to over 7,000 incidents per year. The Fire Department’s reputation for exemplary service is underscored by its Class I rating from the Insurance Services Office, an elite distinction carried by only a few fire departments in the nation.
How To Apply
To be considered for the Firefighter position, please visit the National Testing Network (NTN) at www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to register for the Firefighter Written Exam. Upon completion of testing with NTN, top scoring candidates will be invited to submit an application for the position of Firefighter with the City of Beverly Hills.
For more information about this position, and to view the full job specification, please click here.
Performs a variety of emergency operations to protect lives and property including fire suppression, emergency medical services, and maintenance of stations, grounds, and equipment, and fire protection inspections as well as other related duties.
- Responds to all types of rescue, fire suppression, medical and non-medical emergency calls and implements action required to save lives and property.
- Participates in continuing study, training and drill activity to achieve and maintain required skills to include regular fitness program to maintain good health and physical strength.
- Maintains fire equipment, ambulance, apparatus, hydrants, quarters and grounds to include performing motor tests on apparatus when assigned as a Fire Engineer.
- Prepares and maintains various departmental reports and forms and operates departmental computer.
- Provides life support, CPR and first aid and assists paramedics when necessary.
- Shops for and prepares meals.
- Operates the tiller steering wheel on the fire truck when responding to emergency calls.
- Performs hazardous material containment practices.
- Ventilates burning buildings to carry off hazardous smoke and gases.
- Performs fire and arson investigation to include examining fire scene and determining origin or cause of fire.
- Performs fire prevention inspections and tests to assure compliance with state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Conducts public education and information classes to include performing public appearances and conducting fire station tours.
- Senior firefighters may supervise junior firefighters during high rise firefighting operations and hazardous material containment.
- May serve as alarm operator (dispatcher) or drive ambulance when necessary.
- May serve as Captain or Engineer in their absence.
- Performs other related work as required.
AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
Minimum age of 21 years old at the time of application
Minimum of 18 college units
Valid driver’s license (valid California license required upon appointment)
Weight – proportionate to height
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or Biddle Physical Agility Test Certificate required a time of application (CPAT or Biddle certificate must be dated no later than 18 months from date of application).
AT TIME OF APPLICATION THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED:
Current California EMT certification or National Registry EMT certification at the time of application (California Paramedic license or National Registry Paramedic certification accepted).Applicant must be certified as an EMT in California or licensed as a Paramedic in California at time of appointment,
Applicant must have a current BLS Health Care Provider card at time of appointment.
At the time of application at least one the following is required:California Firefighter academy graduation certificate holder within five years of application date. For academy graduates that do not possess a California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification, the California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification must be obtained within 12 months from time of appointment. The Fire Chief has discretion on providing a time extension.
California State Certified Firefighter 1
Currently employed as a full-time firefighter with a minimum of two years of experience. For individuals that do not possess a California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification, the California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification must be obtained within 12 months from time of appointment. The Fire Chief has discretion on providing a time extension.
OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS OR DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE:
Full-Time Professional Firefighter with a minimum of six months experience, post-training academy at the time of application date.
An IFSAC and/or Pro Board accredited state or Department of Defense certification that includes Fire Fighter 1 and Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations. IFSAC and/or Pro Board accredited certification for Wildland Fire Fighter 1 not required, but desirable. For out of state applicants that do not possess a California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification, the California State Fire Fighter 1&2 certification must be obtained within 12 months from time of appointment. The Fire Chief has discretion on providing a time extension.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Pass a job-related psychological evaluation and medical examination
Meet all physical requirements that would enable a candidate to perform the major duties outlined above.
- Departmental rules and regulations on fire prevention, safety, fire codes, first aid and rescue methods to include state laws, municipal codes and ordinances related to fire prevention and inspection work.
- Emergency rescue and evaluation procedures involving fire, chemicals or bomb threats.
- Firefighting principles, techniques and principles of hydraulics applied to fire suppression.
- Modern fire prevention and suppression methods, fire behavior and basic fire chemistry.
- State and local building and maintenance codes and the health and safety code.
- Fire protection and fire alarm systems and components and their functional requirements.
- Knowledge of Beverly Hills geography, streets and area hospitals.
WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF:
Vehicle mechanics and rescue procedures involving electricity and gas.
Knowledge of Beverly Hills geography, streets and area hospitals.
- Performing strenuous work under adverse conditions for a sustained period of time to include ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Operating and maintaining fire equipment, apparatus and a variety of tools.
- Inspection and testing fire protection and alarm skills.
- Interpreting and enforcing laws, ordinances, statutes and Fire Prevention Bureau requirements.
- Inspecting commercial and residential occupancies and reviewing plans and specifications for fire and life safety code compliance.
- Performing fire and arson investigations to determine cause and origin of fire.
- Driving an ambulance safely during emergencies and in route to an area hospital.
- Thinking clearly, making decisions and reacting quickly in emergency situations.
To apply for this job please visit www.nationaltestingnetwork.com.